Solitary was created by Georgia Shepherd and John Cross in 2000. The name 'Solitary' was chosen by them to mark a new era for the site. Mount Solitary dominates the restaurant's view of the Jamison Valley and is both a grounding and uplifting presence. In 2003, they opened the Solitary Kiosk as a tribute to the building's history. The kiosk walls are adorned with transcribed oral accounts and anecdotes from both previous occupants and visitors to the site from 1913 to the present.
The Molloy Family, Ralph, Lynn and Sebastian, acquired Solitary from Georgia and John in 2011. Solitary has its centenary in 2013 and the Molloy family is honoured to steer Solitary into its next century.
Sebastian came to join his parents in the Blue Mountains, they had moved from the city to find a healthier and more sustainable lifestyle. Sebastian had previously spent time cooking in leading Australian restaurants and in Europe for 3 years, at times as head pastry chef. He also spent 6 years on the far north coast of NSW as head chef. Finding Solitary was available was an ideal progression for Sebastian.
So it was settled. Solitary is where the family could be closer and with Ralph & Lynnís management skills and Sebastianís passion and knowledge of food, Solitary continues to provide fine contemporary Australian cuisine that is thoughtfully matched to an extensive list of local, regional and overseas wines.
Solitary strives to provide organic produce from the restaurants own extensive garden and the best possible local produce available seasonally.